[OpenLayers-Dev] Vector Integration

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 14:45:01 EST 2007

Erik,
Excellent to see this moving forward, and welcome to the vector branch
team. :)

I stopped work on the vector  branch around Christmas when the OGC
Testbed project that was funding me completed.

I assume Pierre and Bertil have extended the work further since then.
But they can talk to that.

I think we can target this is two stages if we want to.
Stage 1: Vector rendering / GML parsing / preliminary WFS

Stage 2: Add in tools.
Bertil was doing some good work with editing tools.

At Christmas, this was the state of the code:

Stage 1:
* Vector rendering code worked without any bugs.
* GML passing works
* I think Pierre has a WFS layer working. Although this is a complicated
issue to address if done properly. Issues like. Should you use tiling on
WFS? What do you do about features that cross tiles? Do you try to
minimize the features loaded. Etc.
* It could do with a solid code review and a few changes in certain
places. (I remember noticing a few things like functions being in the
wrong package), but generally is was pretty good.
* JSDocs were patchy in areas
* There were no unit tests
* There was no wiki documentation
* I'm not sure what the state of our UML design at the moment, but I
suspect it should be updated. This was a useful method of communicating
design, and would probably be worth maintaining for all of the
OpenLayers codebase. (Although this may be out of scope, as there is a
day or two involved in setting up a simple UML diagram for a project
this size - unless you can find a JS->UML translator)

Stage 2:
* Bertil had a number of vector editing tools working.
* However we didn't have a decent concept of a toolbar. This should be
addressed as part of stage 2. Of note, it ties in very closely with the
Mapbuilder integration with OL because we need to link from the
Mapbuilder tools to the OpenLayers tools, and this probably should be
done through the toolbar. Olivier Terril is currently looking at this
problem from the Mapbuilder end. Refer to
http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/417

--
Cameron Shorter
Systems Architect, http://lisasoft.com.au