[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers 'Debug Mode'

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Feb 19 19:00:28 EST 2007

I agree, this is an excellent idea.  One problem with js, though, is
that it isn't possible to get rid of the debug code at compile time
so it will always be there slowing things down just by calling an
empty log/debug function.  Depending on where this code is left, it
may not be noticeable, but I can see where it would be desirable to
have log calls in functions that could be called a lot and this could
have an impact.

To mitigate this, it may be nice to have two builds - production and
debug.  If debug logging is appropriately marked up, it should be
easy to remove or comment it as part of building a production
version ... it could be as easy as grepping for OpenLayers.Debug and
removing the line.

Normal (not 'built') use and debug builds would not remove the debug
calls and then debugging could be turned on or off globally.

I'm going off the deep end here, but it might be very nice to have a
namespace with debug logging to allow turning on logging only in one
section of the API (for instance OpenLayers.DEBUG = false;
OpenLayers.Layer.DEBUG = true; OpenLayers.log(OpenLayers.Layer, 'some
message');) ... And you could keep going with this and add severity
levels etc.  The scope creep strikes again :)

Cheers

Paul