[OpenLayers-Dev] Performance of Vector Layer Rendering...

Lance Dyas lancelot at inetnebr.com
Wed Jul 11 00:29:27 EDT 2007

Comparing this...
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/egeotest/wfs-states.html
I get unresponsive script alerts every time I zoom...

and this...
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/egeotest/gmlusa.htm.
The original source (was from the same geoserver
layer)

Google Maps has something called polyline/polygon encoding to
allow Level of Detail at discrete zoom levels to be stored
and used in rendering. (google can do this serverside within
limits for kml overlays) In this case I am doing it client side
and combine it with code which causes the polygons which
are outside the view to be removed from display and re-added when
needed.(this addressed issues of complex polygons/polylines outside the view
area lagging the performance when zoomed in)

The end result is faster rendering at all zooms
it is slightly less clean when panning.. but....
Oh and random colors are cool.. ;-)
OpenLayers should have a random color mode
for WFS layers.