[OpenLayers-Dev] WMSManager closer to beta version

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Tue Jun 5 03:03:21 EDT 2007

Thank you Lance, I do appreciate your vision.

> There are a number of reasons but most are pretty subtle... or obscure
> Dimensions actually make sense in version 1.3+ whereas before that
> they were horrible. so very few have implemented.
> 1.3.0 has better defined Max and Min Denominator replacing ScaleHint
> 1.3.0 probably has other improvements some I am uncertain about but
> "theoretically must be there"
> Eventually people may make servers which no longer support 1.1.1...
> (probably a ways off)
> It's not really that hard...
> And my favorite motto "never write old code."

Heh,  my motto is "never write useless code"
;-)

As far as I know version 1.3 is not yet supported by mapserver or geoserver.
I see there's a plan for Mapserver version 5.0.0( Late July 2007) [1]
I see there's no plan actually for GeoServer [2]

 From another side, I know no positive developer that would not like to
rewrite an application, at its first version, as far as they end it.
So it would be a good reason to rewrite WMSmanager when WMS 1.3 time
will come.

moreover I've read that WMS 1.3 is not yet supporting SLD and I would
love to have soon an SLD editor (a simple one) inside WMSmanager.

>>> an extensive list you could test against is available at
>>> http://www.microimages.com/wmscatalog/request.cgi?
>>
>> an important issue I did not answered before to Ludwig:
>> " I suggest that people can also type in their own WMS layer URL"
>> This would be cool but there's a a major problem: I'm using the
>> default OL proxy.cgi where you need to subscribe by hand all
>> "allowed" servers.
> 0) Improve upon the CGI give it a interface...

that's a good idea but I know nobody here likes it. OL is cool because
is not server dependent and I know that WMSmanager has to stay as stick
as possible to this line.

>> There's no clean way, actually, to add a user server on the fly to
>> CGI internal list without creating a security hole.
>> suggestions are welcome
> err you could
> 1) umm not worry about the security hole leave that to the discretion
> of the enduser ;-O)

:-)
> 2) use the WMScatalog list and you will have a tested set of CGI's
> that is big enough that well...ok people will still have
> there own that arent on the list...
seems weird but maybe the most feasible. I didn't thought about this.
I can have an exception back: "your server is not in my list!"

> 3) you could have the CGI parse responses and verify they appear to be
> an OGC::Capabilities response

I use the ajax call for GetFeatureInfo too.
Many servers are badly configured anyway about OnlineResource xlink:href
(difference between standards and real life)

I've fear that the best way to use a cool, secret and personal WMS
server is to download WMSmanager and change the proxy.cgi script.

thanks a lot Lance

[1] http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/release_plans/mapserver_5_0
[2] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOS/Multidimensional+WCS