[OpenLayers-Dev] [OpenLayers-Trac] [OpenLayers] #487: wrap the dateline

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Jun 7 07:43:05 EDT 2007

Schuyler and I have been working on:

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 10:58:12AM -0000, OpenLayers wrote:
> #487: wrap the dateline
>  What it does:
>   * New option 'wrapDateLine' on the base layer
>   * Wraps zoomToExtent
>   * Wraps getLonLatFromPixel
>   * Function 'adjustBounds' on layer does wrapping
>   * Moved adjustBoundsForGutter inside adjustBounds
>   * added calls to adjustBounds in all the getURL functions which can
>  support it. (Grid layers, mostly.)
>
>  Limitations/expectations of this patch:
>   * It is expected behavior that the layer's getPixelFromLonLat will not
>  wrap. This means that if you are looking at Australia and Hawai'i, and you
>  place a marker at 175, it will end up visible or not visible depending on
>  which side of the date line you're on.
>   * Vector drawing across the date line is not supported. (Your mouse will
>  'snap' to the other part of the world.)
>   * Requests which cross the date line are *not* wrapped, so they will
>  request content outside the world if it does not divide evenly.

http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/crschmidt/wraptheworld/examples/wrapDateLine.html

Try it. Test it. We've got relatively complete tests against the code --
we've tested each of the layers empirically, as well as the wrapBounds
functions in a bunch of cases, and the resulting center for zoomToExtent
calls.

At this point, I can't figure out anything else to break it, but I'm
sure others can :)

Feedback welcome! Schuyler/Erik/I have a driver to put this in if we
don't get any push back, so sooner is better.