[OpenLayers-Dev] ArcGIS + OpenLayers connection problem

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Thu Jun 7 19:14:54 EDT 2007

Hi Charles,
I don't know if I've understood right but I'll try.

> I'm having trouble connecting to our ArcGIS server that is running with
> a map titled WorldImage.  The problem seems to boil down to the WMS we
> setup not recognizing the layer type "basic".  The error is something
> along the lines of "Parameter "layers" is not recognized" and no tiles
> are returned
>
> var wmsLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS( "Our WMS",
> "http://server/arcgis/WMS", {layers: 'basic'});
>
> What should layers be called?  Is there a way I can tell from the WMS
> I'm running?

'basic' is the name of the "basic layer" as they've called at Metacarta
in their WMS server.
I'm sure your WMS has a different set of names available for you.
to discover the list of names you can use a WMS client (udig, qgis, ecc)
or just use your browser to access GetCapabilities of your server.
to do this use this URL:

http://server/arcgis/WMS?service=WMS&request=GetCapabilities

you should receive a XML file with a bunch of information and the list of server layers. User the value you find inside <Name> tag.

hope this helps
Ciao
Lorenzo