[OpenLayers-Dev] WMSManager beta version

"RIVIERE Robert - CETE Méditerr./DI/ETER" Robert.Riviere at equipement.gouv.fr
Thu Jun 14 04:31:02 EDT 2007

Hello,

first, all congratulations to Lorenzo Becchi, his job WMSManager is a very, very nice piece of work.

I'd like to reply to an already old post, sorry I'm a bit late in reading the maillist.

It's about adding news WMS servers in the WMSManager list :

Someone said :
> 2) use the WMScatalog list and you will have a tested set of CGI's
> that is big enough that well...ok people will still have
> there own that arent on the list...

Yes I believe it's the right way to go... If we had somewhere a central repository of WMS servers (eventually with their capabilities cached on it), WMSManager could request it, eventually on various criteria (for example given a current viewbox ?), it would just have to implement a request protocol and response processing (does exist an OGC one ? Could it be about "registry" ?)

This repository could be cooperative, if you know a server which isn't on the list you could put it on, just like web2 "social sites".

Currently I'm maintaining my own list on del.ico.us  (see http://del.icio.us/rrpro/wmsserver)
But of course it's just a flat list of links. The same thing with OGC-aware processing functions would be wonderful.
Just dreaming...

Robert