[OpenLayers-Dev] Geometry editing

Jeff Yutzler jeff.yutzler at ionicenterprise.com
Thu Jun 14 13:49:16 EDT 2007

About a month ago, Christopher Schmidt, Tim Schaub, and a few others
talked to me about the emerging geometry editing tools in OL.  I am
currently using the point/line/polygon stuff from 2.4 in my own
application.  It is quite nice, but falls short of what we developed
outside of OL a year ago.  Here are the two main functionality gaps that
we are interested in:

    * complex geometry support (multi-point, multi-line, multi-polygon,
      and inner ring).  I see that this is supported in the geometry
      model itself, but not the editing tools.  In my own work, I
      implemented this through a set of toolbars.
    * geometry editing.  The move vertex stuff in
      http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/tschaub/feature/examples/modify-feature.html
      is nice, but to be complete, it needs to also be able to delete
      vertices, insert vertices before/after another vertex, and
      add/remove geometry parts.  In my own work, I implemented this
      through popups on vertices.

I could not get much of a feel from TRAC what work, if any, is being
planned in these areas.  If someone else is currently working on this
stuff, I would be willing to collaborate.  If not, well, I'll just start
messing around and see what I can come up with.