[OpenLayers-Dev] Using Examples to create Better Documentation

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Jun 16 14:20:02 EDT 2007

In an effort to use our examples to put together better documentation
targeted towards users, I'm working on a specific way of describing the
metadata about examples such that it can be used by additional tools to
build up a more comprehensive documentation set for our users.

If you look at the source of:

http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/crschmidt/docs/docs.html

You'll see that there is some additional metadata in the page:
specifically, the <h1> has a 'title' id, there is a 'tags' div which has
<a> element inside, a p with 'id' shortdesc, and a 'docs' div. The
reason for this is to allow for building of two different forms of
overview of the examples:

 * http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/crschmidt/docs/docs.html
  "Table of Contents" style.

 * Categorized page listing (powered by the tags in the example):
   http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/crschmidt/docs/cats.html

I'm going to work on adding this to all the examples in the branch (or
at least more of them) so we can see what it looks like.

Thoughts?