[OpenLayers-Dev] finally fed up with jsdoc

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Jun 17 00:03:37 EDT 2007

I finally got fed up with JSDoc today. It's now segfaulting even with
the lower recursion depth on the regexes, which means that the only way
to get anything out of it is to set it up so we get practically nothing
out of it.

So, I sat down and wrote out something that replaces a significant chunk
of the jsdoc functionality we were using. The code right now is
super-crappy, but it seems like our code is well structured enough that
this isn't going to be a horribly hard task.

You can see the current output at:

http://crschmidt.net/~crschmidt/out/

Some examples:

 http://crschmidt.net/~crschmidt/out/OpenLayers/Map.html#theme
 http://crschmidt.net/~crschmidt/out/OpenLayers/Layer.html#getViewPortPxFromLonLat

etc.

Note that changing to this solution is no longer an option of 'if', but
'when'. Despite lots of time and effort put into babying jsdoc, we have
simply grown past a point where it is viable, and huge chunks of our
documentation simply aren't covered by the jsdoc parser.

If someone wants to hack on jsdoc to try to fix these issues, they can feel
free, but I'm not hopeful that we'll get a resolution of this that way,
which is why I'm pursuing the new solution, which I at least understand
the *reasons* it breaks, when it does.