[OpenLayers-Dev] PNG Transparency on IE 6

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Fri Mar 2 04:29:57 EST 2007

Hi antonio,

There is a solution; the FixPNG workaround, but it's slow. This is
not a big problem if you have 3 PNG images, but if you enable tiling,
you easily get up to 30 images and it takes up to minutes to draw the
layers. Also with this workaround the images are not displayed until
all the images are loaded and fixed. Which gives your application a
very sluggish feel to it.
More info at: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/pngtestfixed.htm
I don't know if OL supports the fixpng workaround, nor do I know they
want to. The solution I use is GIF and opacity on the layers for IE.
It's not as good as transparent PNG, but it's workable.

Steven