[OpenLayers-Dev] Toolbar Status

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Mar 13 07:45:14 EDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 01:38:37PM +1100, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Apologies for my late response, I'm a bit behind on my emails.
>
> Regarding the toolbar:
>
> * I'm not sure if I've missed the boat for picking names, but I suggest
> using names already used by by HTML/Java/etc. This should reduce
> confusion for developers later. I'd be looking for the terms: Button,
> Checkbox, Radio.

The reason to *not* choose these names is exactly as you've mentioned:
they already have a context that does not match what this does. Radio
buttons and checkboxes are visual elements in an HTML/Java page: these
are explicitly designed to be elements in the page which have a very
different visual look and feel.

The 'button' naming was matched, because there is no concept in HTML of
a 'button' that I know of, so we're not stomping on visual concepts
there.

There's still time to change this: convince someone else that I'm wrong,
and I'll reevaluate :)

> * Regarding  setting button images and placement, it seems that a user
> would need to edit CSS? I've been tripped up on OL CSS before (ie, my
> lack of understanding of it). If you are using CSS, it would probably be
> wise to have a tutorial explaining how to use it.

Agreed. Documentation is as of yet incomplete, but that's certainly a
requirement pre-release. (I started working on it at one point, then
realized I had three levels of documentation to do before I got to the
toolbar CSS :))

> * Is there an attribute like alignment="verticle/horizontal" that a user
> can set?

That's controlled by CSS. The difference:

Vertical:
.olControlMouseToolbar div {
  display:block;
  width:  28px;