[OpenLayers-Dev] WKT support?

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Mar 26 08:39:40 EDT 2007

WKT could be useful in a few scenarios.  PostGIS, for instance,
stores geometries in WKT - or WKB (well known binary) with easy
access to a WKT version - which makes it convenient for working with
features (or rather, their geometries) in a PostGIS database.
MapGuide Open Source also has methods to dump feature geometries into
WKT format.  And MapServer/MapScript can now create features from WKT.

OTOH, it would probably be more efficient to convert said WKT into
GeoJSON before returning it to the browser and thus reduce the client
load.

If WKT support is added, I would prefer to use Chris' approach of
having a couple of utility functions that go to/from geometries ...
and also discourage general use of WKT in favour of something like
GeoJSON.  I would actually see more use in having a Geometry.asWKT()
function to work with various server-side pieces that support WKT
directly rather than having to futz with GML conversion at both ends.

Re the 'well known' part, I have not directly run into problems with
this myself, but I have worked mostly with the simple types (POINT,
LINE, POLYGON) which do seem to be pretty standard.  Given the types
of geometry that OpenLayers supports, I think these three would be
all that would be required (for output anyway) and would be pretty
standard.

Cheers

Paul