[OpenLayers-Dev] ArcGIS server 9.2 support for OL

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Tue Mar 27 08:15:36 EDT 2007

Hi all,

With some help of Chris I've managed to access the tiles generated by
ArcGIS server 9.2.
There's a public accessible server at:
http://serverx.esri.com/antialiasingexamples/
ArcGIS server stores its prerendered tiles in a directory structure
similar to TMS:
layername/zoomlevel/rownumber/columnnumber.filetype:
http://serverx.esri.com/arcgiscache/DG_County_roads_yesA_backgroundDark/Layers/_alllayers/L03/R0000147b/C0000138d.png
It also has an XML providing some extra data:
http://serverx.esri.com/arcgiscache/DG_County_roads_yesA_backgroundDark/Layers/conf.xml

The row number and column number are stored in hexadecimal and are
calculated from the TileOrigin (upper left).

attached is a zip with two files and one patch:
ags2.html goes into examples and provides an example with the data of
above mentioned site
AGS.js goes into lib/OpenLayers/Layer and provides the logic for the
tile-url calculation
openlayers.diff adds AGS.js to OpenLayers.js

There's one major issue: you need specify the correct maxExtent to make
sure that no tiles are requested outside the realm of the cache. Also
this maxExtent should be a perfect fit for the tiles otherwise a weird
offset is shown when zooming in and out. (I haven't calculated the
proper extent yet, so one can see this erratic behavior).

Regards,
Steven