[OpenLayers-Dev] Different lon and lat map resolution (and other issues)

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:37:43 EDT 2007

Hi,

Tim Schaub píše v Pá 02. 11. 2007 v 10:57 -0600:

> > I can understand this. How many people do have write access to trunk?
> >

> http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/CLA
>
> The above page describes who has access to what.  As with all else in a
> wiki, this list requires a person to update it - so I can't say how
> current it is, but I think Erik probably is keeping it up.

From what I see in mailing list, only few, who have the access are
really committing something or reviewing patches "from outside". Am I
wrong?

> > what do you understand with "test" ? Is it working demo?
>
> There are two types of tests that we like to see:  acceptance tests and
> unit tests (wikipedia is a good reference for terms like these).  In
> general, automated tests are nicer than manually run tests.
>
> See http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/CreatingPatches for a link to the
> page on writing unit tests.  Our automated tests are really a combo of
> acceptance and unit tests.  We also have some acceptance tests scattered
> around the examples directory.
>
> In short, you should write tests for any modifications.  In OpenLayers,
> these tests should be written using the Test.AnotherWay setup.  If your
> modification represents a change that can reasonably be shown with an
> example, then your patch should also include an example.
>
> So, a ticket that proposes a modification should ideally contain *one*
> patch.  That patch
>   1) can be applied cleanly to the trunk,
>   2) has inline documentation comments in the NaturalDocs style,
>   3) includes tests that run in our Test.Anotherway setup, and
>   4) includes an example if appropriate.
>
> You can find more on the wiki that details things here that you might
> not understand.

Sorry, the wiki is not so well-arranged to me (like most development
wikis). Sometimes I miss something. Thank you to clarifying  this.

> How does your patch affect vector layers?

They work

>  Will it work with the upcoming Proj4js work?

No idea - I'm working with current subversion repository. Do I have to
apply all other proposed changes/patches in order to provide well tests?

> Is your proposed feature compatible with markers, popups,
> world wrapping, commercial layers, and all other
> current features?

If I'm posting a patch, than I can only say: "I tested everything, I
could. It works for me". When I find something, or somebody will report
something, that would not work, I will do my best to fix it.

So, to answer your question: yes, everything works for me.

> A quick glance at your ticket and attached patches
> doesn't answer any of this for me.

Nobody ever asked (since 08/06/07 -- sorry, this seems long time to me).
My previous answer (5 lines above) applies to this as well.

> A more robust (and up to date)
> example and tests would help.

What concrete are you missing? I have running tests on other servers.
Writing another examples just takes time - I have to do some work too.

> And a good understanding of how all these
> other features work is essential to contributing a modification that
> changes map behavior.

I know. Am I supposed to prove, that I understand all of this? How?

But the discussion went too concrete now. General question is: Do you
think, current system is all right? Are there enough reviewers, who are
checking the tracker regularly and communicating with the contributors?

As you probably understand: I do not think so.

Thanks

Jachym