[OpenLayers-Dev] manual acceptance tests

Erik Uzureau erik.uzureau at metacarta.com
Fri Nov 9 16:29:52 EST 2007

On 11/9/07, Eric Lemoine <eric.c2c at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 9:48 PM, Tim Schaub <tschaub at openplans.org> wrote:
> > Hey-
> >
> > Erik Uzureau wrote:
> > > Also, I think its probably a good time to start looking into a
> > > post-commit hook (only on trunk, of course) that runs the unit tests.
> > > I don't personally have the first clue as to how to do that but
> > > someone out there must? I think it would be a helpful addition to our
> > > process and (realistically) wouldn't hinder the dev process hardly at
> > > all.
> >
> > Smartypants Schmidt just pointed out that this could be done in a much
> > simpler way than I proposed.
> >
> > Buy a machine dedicated to testing (or multiple machines if you care
> > about OS), open up all browsers we care about, run a modified version of
> > run-tests.html (on a timeout to refresh every hour), and have it create
> > a XMLHttpRequest with any failure results.  Then set up some service
> > that sits around and listens for these failure requests and have it post
> >   these results somewhere.  So fancy!
>
> Cool!
>
> That service could also send email to some mailing list on failure. It
> also could provide an RSS feed people could register to :-)

yes! exactly. Now we're talkin! The idea would be to have it be
non-invasive. It would just be a friendly service to notify us when
things go bonk... not to hold up the process and get in the way of
what we humans have so far been very diligent about doing. :-)

The question, then, is "where are we going to get these computers?"
and "who is going to write the code to get them running and
connected?"

Any volunteers?

Erik