[OpenLayers-Dev] RFC: Resolution to only change License with Unanimous Vote

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Oct 9 14:10:24 EDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 01:50:56PM -0400, Paul Spencer wrote:
> I'm ambivalent on this.  I am not convinced that we need unanimity
> (?) on any given issue, but I do think we need everyone to vote so
> that we are certain there are no dissenting votes.  I also think
> there may be a certain amount of pressure felt by someone that they
> have to vote with the rest of the PSC even though they are not
> necessarily fully supportive (or even just ambivalent).
>
> Discuss ... :)

I think that license changes are important enough that if you can't get
unanimous approval of the PSC, then "You're doing it wrong"[1].

That said, I would consider a "+0" to be part of a 'unanimous vote' --
indicating no veto -- and since a single -1 vetoes a vote nayway, the
practical change to this would only be that all members would have to
vote. However, now that I think about it, I think all PSC members really
should be voting "+1" to change a license. If you can't get that level of
approval, then you shouldn't be changing the license.c

[1] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/macjinx/campingmacro.jpg