[OpenLayers-Dev] Client side load balancing

Ben Brehmer bbrehmer at refractions.net
Wed Oct 10 14:55:09 EDT 2007

I am looking at adding some client side load balancing to my OpenLayers
app and was wondering if anyone has done something similair.

Since a browser only ever opens a maximum of 2 connections to the same
domain I am hoping to decrease the time it takes to load tiles by
getting my layer to pull tiles from 4 domains (which will intern open 8
connections instead of 2). I am planning on loading an array of
available domains at load time. Then when OpenLayers requests a tile it
will choose a domain from this array (either round robin or randomly).

Has this already been done? Does anyone foresee any problems with this?

Thanks for any info,

Ben Brehmer