[OpenLayers-Dev] Recording RFC votes

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Oct 12 10:16:39 EDT 2007

So, after doing this a couple times, I've decided that I definitely
think it is worth it to record votes.

See:

 http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/RFC/RequireUnanimousVoteForLicenseChange
 http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/RFC/LicenseChange

Both of these now have full links to the thread and votes from each
member, which show some history and relevant context for someone asking
why the heck we did something.

I think that perhaps it will make more sense to have RFCs for more large
code changes -- the projection code is one example, and other thing
sthat might change behavior. If we do that, I think it's good to have a
link to the discussions around an issue, as well as a 'current status'
page for things -- is projection supprot fully in, partially in, who's
working on it, etc.

Up until this point, most of our changes are just minor features or
bugfixes -- a new layer type isn't anything to write home about.
However, as we approach a place where small features are relatively
filled in, and the changes we make are either more sweeping
(internationallization, projection support, etc.) or possibly changing
backwards compatibility, we should have a more widespread discussion,
and that results in a case where linking back to that discussion is a
good thing.

In the case of the license change page, keeping a tally actually
resulted in me finding that John never voted :) so I think that all in
all, that's a good thing to follow.