[OpenLayers-Dev] Layers into Groups

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 03:59:17 EDT 2007

Hi,

Ludwig M Brinckmann píše v Út 23. 10. 2007 v 21:06 +0100:
> Hi Jachym,
>
> for me on XP and Firefox 2.0.0.8 this appears quite unresponsive, even
> though after a bit of clicking something eventually happens. I am not
> sure about the graphical solution as I do not really know when a layer
> is switched on or off.

Some layers were active only, if you zoomed to region around Canada
(fixed). I completely agree with you, that the "design" of the page
"could" be more intuitive -- sorry, no graphical designer.

> A while ago I experimented a bit with a custom layer switcher outside
> the map window, it still seems to be working at
>
> http://www.yunnanexplorer.com/mars.html
>
> There were several ideas in it:
> First of all ignore the tick-boxes -- they flicker a layer on and off.
> This is not very intuitive. I thought once having a special effects
> div hidden with every layer that could be turned on and off.
> Flickering a layer, moving a sliding window over a layer, inverting
> colours, image stretching could all go in there. Never followed
> through.

nice demo

> The sliders allow to adjust transparency of a layer: red all the way
> to the left is off, green is 100% opaque. The rest somewhere in the
> middle: good way if you want to look at data in more than one map at a
> time.

this is somehow more intuitive, than my previous layer-buttons.html
example. Sliders are better for opacity settings, but I did not know,
how to get them in current LayerSwitcher dimensions.

> Furthermore it is possible to drag the layers up and down, changing
> the stacking/drawing order. I know that conflicts with the baselayer
> concept of OL.

Dragging is definitely more intuitive, than buttons (again
layer-buttons.html in my sandbox), when it is working. Together with
layer groups (layer-groups.html), the code would get pretty
complicated..

> These effects were done with scriptaculous and do not really work that
> well under IE, but someone with more patience/time than me could
> probably make them work. It is now over a year old and I have not done
> any work on it, so some of the layers have ceased to function.
>
> I think building better/different layer switchers, particularly with
> grouping, is quite important...

I'm working on it. If others like it, I hope, it would appear in
OpenLayers trunk - I'm not avare of any other impediment.

Jachym