[OpenLayers-Dev] MapFish

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 12:27:49 EDT 2007

On 10/30/07, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Eric,
> Looks very interesting.

Hi Cameron

> Quick questions.
> I couldn't find a reference to a license on the home page. What will you
> be using?

Already answered.

> My first thoughts when I look between server and client is "Should
> standard protocols be used". Do you see use of OGC Standards to be
> appropriate here?

On the client-side there are components, such as the layer widget,
that don't rely on any service. Some others, such as geostat, do rely
on services that serve features using GeoJSON. The services support
filtering, and we're trying to conform to the parameters specified in
OpenSearch Geo. The application developer can also add his own
app-specific filter parameters, but the protocol becomes totally
custom.

As you've probably noted we could have used WFS and Filter Encoding
for this. But our goal being to provide an extensible framework on the
server side, where the application developer can provide his own code
to respond to query of any complexity. I feel that achieving this same
level of functionality with WFS and Filter Encoding would much more
complex.

I'm very interested to hear from you regarding all this.

> Or are some of your interfaces appropriate to put forward as a standard?

We'll be interested in pushing REST-based interfaces in the realm of
feature services and filtering. I often read Sean Gillies' blog (CC:ed
to this email) and he also seems to be interested in that area.

Thanks,

--
Eric