[OpenLayers-Dev] KML support

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Sep 10 21:37:40 EDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 08:02:13PM -0400, Frank Porcelli wrote:
> Hello dev list -
>
> I was wondering if anyone can tell me to what extent cross browser support
> for KML data will be supported in the 2.5 release of OL?

I'm not 100% sure yet, but it looks like:
 * KML will have better geometry support for reading
 * KML will have write support
 * KML will have cross browser support

Will be the state in 2.5. (Tim and I are currently bouncing the code
back and forth.)

> Currently we're
> able to get KML data to display using Firefox, but IE6 does not work. Also
> we noticed that KML files that use the 2.1 spec do not work because the 2.0
> kml namespace is explicitly referenced in the code.

Patches to change this behavior are welcome, but at the moment, you need
to know what you're going to parse. If it's 2.1, you can simply change
the kmlns:

var k = new OpenLayers.Format.KML({'kmlns':'http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1'});