[OpenLayers-Dev] Are there png8 wms tile problems with IE?

Andrew Hughes ahhughes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 10:07:50 EDT 2007

Hi Louvy,

I've noticed that the png8's had a problem in several pieces of software...
not just IE. I suspect (and I do stress suspect) that this may be caused not
by a defective image or the inability of IE/Others to handle 8 bit png.. but
I think it has something to do with the HTTP response type of the image from
geoserver. Correct me if I am wrong... but "image/png8" is not an official
mime-type, its likely IE is getting confused by this. PNG was designed as a
wrapper to several compression formats... hence the name Portable Network
Graphics.

In IE, I noticed that I was getting black instead of transparency in the
image inside IE. Perhaps this is the same for you?

In the end, rather than use png (24)  or png8 I switched to gif.

--AH