[OpenLayers-Dev] overviewmap and spherical mercator

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Wed Sep 26 04:42:17 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I'm trying to implement an overviewmap together with a google layer,
using the spherical mercator code by Tim. However, it fails with an error:
'bounds has no properties' in the function zoomToExtent in Map.js
This function is called from zoomToMaxExtent and it uses
this.getMaxExtent() to get a bounds. However this last function returns
null. this.maxExtent at this point is -180,-90,180,90 which I believe is
the default maxExtent, since it's wrong, tims foss4g sandbox only shows
North America and last time I checked that doesn't span the globe ;)
If I go into getMaxExtent at this point it tells me that this.baseLayer
= null. At this point I don't know what to do. There is a baseLayer so I
don't understand why in the overviewMap it doesn't show. Or when that's
correct behavior, why it fails on a lack of bounds.

Anyone has an overviewmap working with the Spherical Mercator
projection, if so could you please enlighten me?

Regards,
Steven