[OpenLayers-Dev] Status of vector creation and editing tools

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Sep 27 20:58:27 EDT 2007

Hi OL Devs,

I am trying to figure out what the current state of vector creation and
editing tools are. I have been reading through some of my archived mail
and reviewing the examples:

http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/editingtoolbar.html

http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/modify-feature.html
This demo does not seem to support deleting a vertex only adding more.

http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/select-feature.html

http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/wfs-scribble.html
Demos some tools for saving created features.

http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/wfs-t.html
This is broken at the moment.

http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/vector-formats.html
Excellent demo on formats and fetching the feature on hover.

So it seems we have a lot of the pieces in place.

The things I do not see at the moment are:
1) any way to attach attributes to a feature or to edit/display
attributes of a feature. Obviously features would need to belong to
classes and each class of feature would need a schema to define the
attributes for the class. Then it would be fairly straight forward to
create a simple attribute table deplay/editor.
2) shared boundary nodes, or a join node
3) snapping to other features or feature nodes. I would be nice to be
able to have a gravity so when you get close to an object the mouse
snaps to an edge and tracks along the edge if you are close to it, and
if you get close to a vertex on an edge or point it will snap to that.
4) join two features together to make a single object (maybe server side)
5) split a line at a point, or polygon with a line or with a boolean op
(maybe server side)

Has anyone put together a application that allows for the creation,
storing and editing of geometry based on these tools? Beyond the
examples. What are you using for the backend storage? It seems like the
two backends that I have seen mentioned are geoserver and feature
server, others? do either of these support postGIS as the data store?

What are people doing or thinking about from a multi-user perspective?
Either with separate feature pools or shared feature pools. The later
obviously has some feature locking issues.

I think all the above is working in 2.4, is this correct?
What will be added as part of 2.5? What otehr functionality is available
in the sandboxes in this arena?

This is an exciting area of development. It would be cool if a more
complete working demo could be built up based on these tools so it could
be used as a spring board to build specific applications from.

I have to say I am impressed and this goes further than I knew before
researching this. Nice job all.

-Steve