[OpenLayers-Dev] Rule subclasses and 2.6

Roald de Wit rdewit at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 3 00:59:32 EDT 2008

Hi Tim,

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 22:14 -0600, Tim Schaub wrote:
> 1) Do no mark Rule subclasses as part of the API.  Later, change them so
> they are Filter subclasses and require that they be added to a Rule
> (with a symbolizer) for things like styling.  They could also be used
> alone (without rules) for things like WFS.  This would also require
> changing the georss-flickr.html example (that uses Rule.Comparison) and
> the wiki page on styling.
>
> 2) Add Filter classes later and keep (the redundant) Rule subclasses
> around until 3.0.

I opt for scenario 1. At the moment we're working on improving WFS a bit
(removing the 'flashing' of features on reload of a tile) and we are
looking at using filters in WFS (and facing the mutually exclusive bbox
& filter parameters challenge).

Since 3.0 can be quite far away, SLD Rules have just been introduced in
2.6 and me believing that that less redundancy is better, I'd like the
Rule subclasses to be no API method in 2.6.

Regards,

Roald

--
Roald de Wit
Software Engineer
roald.dewit at lisasoft.com

Commercial Support for Open Source GIS Software
http://lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts/