[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers performance

Guillaume Sueur guillaume.sueur at neogeo-online.net
Mon Apr 7 14:40:11 EDT 2008

I wouldn't say OpenLayers performances are slower than GM. You have to
compare things the same way. If your OpenLayers app loads several layers
(say 10), then yes, the pan is becoming slower, a bit like if you were
carrying a heavy weight, which is indeed what you are doing, and what GM
can't do. Furthermore, if your map is very large, say 1680 x 1050, yes
it can be a bit slower too. But most of the time it can be considered at
least as fast as GM (see
http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/fullScreen.html for a good example)
But as OpenLayers can do much more than a GoogleMap app, there is
another point to consider which is tuning. When you have many layers,
you have to take care on how each of them is loaded and used in the app,
and set meaningfully options such a SingleTile or the way you access the
data (wms, wms + tilecache, wfs, geoJSON). each of these has its
benefits and drawbacks. But it's not openlayers architecture anymore,
it's your app architecture, your app tuning and settings, and finally,
your job !
And it's an exciting part of it !

Guillaume