[OpenLayers-Dev] Chaging color and thickness of drawing lines and polygons

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 08:32:29 EDT 2008

Hi

If your code itself creates DrawFeature controls, you can pass a style
option to the underlying handler, e.g.

var s = OpenLayers.Util.applyDefaults({strokeWidth: 4},
OpenLayers.Feature.Vector.style["default"]);
var d = new OpenLayers.Control.DrawFeature(layer,
OpenLayers.Handler.Path, {handlerOptions: {style: s}});

I haven't tested this myself but it looks like it will work. Note that
the above code doesn't rely on public APIs, so it way break in the
future when upgrading to a new OL version.

If you use the editing toolbar, you won't be able to set the handlers'
style property as done above; I would then recommend to implement your
own editing toolbar control (or possibly improve OL's editing toolbar
and contribute your change to OL).

As for using right-click instead of double-click for ending drawing,
OpenLayers doesn't support it. You'll have to implement your own
drawing handlers possibly by inheriting from Handler.Path and
Handler.Polygon, or again bring new options to the existing handlers.

Hope this helps. Eric