[OpenLayers-Dev] Virtual Earth 5+

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Aug 25 09:39:49 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 09:45:11AM +0200, Emanuel Schütze wrote:
> On 25.08.2008 00:44, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > Would recommend something like
> > http://maps.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/ft/?p=257 might be more effective.
>
> Thanks. Nice example, but not that what I want.
>
> If anybody has integrate the VEMapStyle Birdseye "native" in OL please let
> me/us know.

I don't say these things idly: When I recommend something outside
OpenLayers, it's sort of the equivilant of saying "It probably can't be
done".

The Birds Eye view style does not use a planar display -- and all
OpenLayers Maps are designed to be 2d planar projections. There is no
way you can lay down markers in OpenLayers and have VE put them in the
right place, no way to overlay WMS, etc. The concept of a 'map' like
that is so totally different from the way OpenLayers works that I can't
see a way in which it would be possible to use it.

I could be wrong -- I haven't put any effort into learning VE's API --
but I really think that you're simpy not going to be able to pull this
into OpenLayers, any more than you could, for example, pull in Google
StreetView.