[OpenLayers-Dev] zoomwheel-only navigation

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Dec 16 07:49:22 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 01:25:52PM +0100, bartvde at osgis.nl wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> currently it is not possible to disable the zoombox and pan on
> OpenLayers.Control.Navigation.
>
> But what if I only want to have the zoomwheel? Do I write my own control,

In my opinion: Yes. We wrote handlers to make creating your own controls
a trivial and easy thing to do. We should document this better, and a
zoomwheel only control seems like a perfect oppourtunity to do so.

I expect that a zoomwheel control will likely only be on the order of a
dozen lines: You need only call out to the wheelUp/wheelDown/wheelChange
on the Navigation prototype, and everything else is solved by just
creating a control with a .handler equal to the wheel. Heck, it might
not even need any code.