[OpenLayers-Dev] Direction planning for Mapbuilder - and further integration with Openlayers/Mapfish

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 18:52:11 EST 2008

Mapbuilder 1.5rc1 was released just before Christmas and now we are
defining our future direction, which is likely to include further
integration with Openlayers possibly Mapfish.
We welcome Openlayers and Mapfish developers to join mapbuilder-devel
and contribute to our discussions.

Mapbuilder's latest notable improvements are:
* Greater stability of the 1.5 thread.
* Integration of Openlayers as the Mapbuilder rendering engine
* A restructuring of projection code, now called Proj4js, and now usable
by Openlayers.

Thanks in particular go to Andreas who has been the powerhouse behind
this release.

Today's Mapbuilder team meeting focused on "What next?".
Logs at: http://uwyn.com/drone/log/bevinbot/mapbuilder/20080107

In summary:
* We pay tribute to the excellent work and developments in Openlayers
and would like to continue to collaborate rather than compete with
Openlayers.
* In future Mapbuilder releases, we would like to provide value add to
Openlayers in the areas that Openlayers is not addressing, rather than
compete head to head on the standard generic web mapping features.
* We note that OL folks have been discussing an Openlayers plugin
concept. Mapbuilder may be able to fill this role and the migration path
is less onerous now due to the last round of integration work.
* Next steps are:
1. Identify the worthy areas of Mapbuilder which are not covered or not
covered well by Openlayers and would be best covered by a project like
Mapbuilder. (I hope OL folks can help us refine these).
2. Revise Mapbuilder priorities and design goals to reflect future
direction.
3. Design
4. Prototype
5. Code
6. ... rest of development cycle

Here are some ideas about what Mapbuilder is currently strong(er) at.
Contributions/comments welcome.

* XSLT processing. Mapbuilder allows widgets to be rendered using XSL to
build HTML.
* XSL chaining. Convert one XML document to another XML doc when the
first changes.
* Model/View/Controller design pattern. Multiple widgets can be driven
from one model. Model doesn't need to know about the widget rendering
its data. This leads to the concept of "Mapbuilder being a framework".
OL supports this in the Map object and multiple controls. I'm not sure
whether OL supports the concept for other models. Eg for a WMC document,
or an OWS Context document.
* Natively stores XML documents, which means that there is no loss of
data in importing/exporting. This helps compatibility with OGC standards
which currently are mainly XML based.
* Mapbuilder is easily configurable via a config file. I''m aware of
mixed feelings about the value of this. However it would be make it easy
to create a drag-and-drop web page builder.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect

Think Globally, Fix Locally