[OpenLayers-Dev] Addins Candidate: LoadingPanel

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Jan 24 07:53:12 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 08:48:29AM +0100, Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I agree this is more of an addin than it is OL core material. The events
> need to be in OL core, but the control can live in addins.
>
> It does raise a question for me as can we define this border between OL and
> addins in such a way that it will be evident where things should live?

I don't think there's an easy way to draw the line. The Meausre control
and Navigation control may be another two examples: I'd love to hear
others opinions on that.

However, there is a difference between these: the Control.LoadingPanel
embeds some UI elements. (It has to, otherwise it is useless.)
The Navigation control does not: they are simply controls that can be
added to a Control.Panel. I think this applies to other things that I
consider 'non-trunk' as well: The advanced LayerSwitcher (UI elements
for opacity, draggable ness, etc.), the WMS Manager (UI elements for
listing layers, etc.), the time control (UI elements for dragging
through time).

It seems to me that this is as good of a boundary as any: if the control
needs to create some additional UI elements beyond the div that it is
given for the Control Panel / main div, then it probably belongs in
addins.

Thoughts?