[OpenLayers-Dev] Creating custom 3rd party Layers

Andrea Battisti battisti at actgate.com
Tue Jan 29 12:00:23 EST 2008

[...]

>> My guess is that the getURL is meant to be called asynchronously just to
>> get the link to the image and then exit immediately; then the actual
>> network transfer is deferred to later methods / calls maybe ?
>>

> Ayup. But keep in mind that at the moment, we don't have any code that
> requests urls from the server asynchronously: I've explicitly avoided
> layers for which that's neccesary because it's painful :)

Ok.
I've not clear what is the chain of events that is triggered when the
map is loaded, or refreshed after a zoom or pan.
The getURL is called, but the image is not downloaded yet; when/who will
load it in the tiles' src ?
What about tiles? Are they updated in background? How many at a time?

Probably, as you said, it is too complex to getting OL to work in a way
it was not meant to; maybe I should come up with some sort of
server-side wrapper that can be queried with an url and gives back an
image, similar to what a WMS server does.

Thanks,

--
Andrea Battisti
Applied Coherent Technology Corp.