[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers Architect - GSoC 2008 Project Stats Report

Erik Hazzard enoex1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 16:37:50 EDT 2008

OpenLayers Architect Status Report
----------------------------------
7-23-08

Overview - Recent progress - Implemented control / panel integration
One of the biggest problems I encountered while working on the
controls was that some controls belong to panels and some are
independent.  My first step was to determine what controls would not
go inside a panel (for example, the overview map).  I stored all the
controls in an array and all the controls that belong to a panel have
an attribute called "hasPanel".  I used this array to create a
dropdown containing all the controls.  As far as controls go, you can
create either a control or a panel.  To create a control, you select
the control type from a dropdown list.  Once a control is selected, it
checks to see if it has the "hasPanel" attribute and if it does, a new
drop down list is created containing a list of available panels.  If
no panels exists, a default panel will be created.  Controls within a
panel also have the ability to be moved to a different panel.  Both
Panels and individual controls can be edited.  I am pleased that they
are now fully integrated but there is still more left to do.
Overview - TODO:
I have two main goals I hope to achieve in the next week:
1. Finish up map configuration
	-Will be similar to the layer and control configurations.
2. Begin working on converting OLArchitect's global map object to
OpenLayer's format.  For the most part, I mimicked the OpenLayers
object but I have added a few additional fields to help keep track of
things on the website, such as an ID for each element (object, panels,
layers, etc)

Throughout the process I've been keeping in mind how to best implement
the dragging / dropping.  For the most part, I have it worked out, and
once I finish the above two tasks I'll be actually implementing it.
You can check out the current version at http://olarchitect.com/  and
read more detailed posts at http://vasir.net/blog/olarchitect/