[OpenLayers-Dev] svn 1.5

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Jul 29 15:23:14 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 02:48:24PM -0400, Schuyler Erle wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 14:39 -0400, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 10:45:00PM -0400, Tim Schaub wrote:
> > >
> > > Wondering if others think a move to subversion 1.5 would be good.
> >
> > It doesn't look like Subversion 1.5 has been backported to Debian Etch
> > (which is what the OL server uses), and I'd prefer not to install from
> > sources other than debian repositories.
>
> Is this maybe time to reopen the discussion of moving to OSGeo
> infrastructure?

That depends.

 * OpenLayers on its own consumes about 4x as much as all other
   OSGeo-hosted SVN/trac/websites put together. (Average of 5
   hits/second compared to 1.25 hits/second.) In casual chatting, it was
   suggested that even if OpenLayers was to change trac/SVN hosting to
   OSGeo, the website should continue to be hosted elsewhere. (Weekly
   multiminute downtimes are simply not something that I think our
   current OpenLayers users would be happy with.)
 * OSGeo's hosting infrastructure is much less powerful than the
   MetaCarta provided infrastructure. (A big shoutout to MC on this one:
   We have extremely good bandwidth, and a very nice machine that we are
   hosted on.) This really shouldn't be a problem except that...
 * OSGeo's servers are currently in a state where they are consistently
   running low on resources due to an as-yet-undetermined source of high
   server load.
 * In either case, the server administrator is sort of the same: I've
   routinely been the member of SAC dealing with OSGeo's server resource
   problems, so if it broke, the same person would be fixing it.
 * OSGeo's server is running RHEL, which I have less ability to
   maintain, and also means that we'd still be dealing with the same
   issue of not having SVN 1.5 :)

Some of these are actively being worked on within OSGeo, but for the
time being, I see little practical benefit to switching hosting of our
SVN/Trac/Website to OSGeo infrastructure.