[OpenLayers-Dev] community page for controls, plugins?

Thijs Brentjens lists at brentjensgeoict.nl
Thu Jul 31 07:39:20 EDT 2008

Hi list,

At this moment I'm developing some smaller applications based on OpenLayers.
Some of the code is worth sharing I think and fortunately this is okay with
my customer. For example: I'm working on a more advanced LayerSwitcher
control, using jQuery, and something to show the features of a vectorlayer
in a table. The things I'm working on are mostly extended or new controls or
let's say GUI elements. Since OL's goal is to be more of a library and not
an application framework (correct?), I'm wondering what would be the best
way to share these GUI elements, since there might be people interested in.

Note: I'm aware of MapFish, which has its strengths of course, but for the
cases I'm working on it's too heavy and personally I'm more a fan of jQuery
than of ExtJS, especially when you don't need to develop that much heavy
functionality :). Anyway, I'm looking for a way to share some
OpenLayers-based code, without disturbing the OL library / core.

Of course I can put my code on some website and point to that, but I'm
looking for a better way to share it, closer to the OpenLayers community so
to speak. So is there something like a community page, containing e.g.
controls or plugin-like stuff for OpenLayers? I couldn't find anything like
that. And should something like a community page be part of the OL-website?
Personally I think that would be great, but I can imagine people are not
really .

Have others come across this?

I'm very interested in your opinion! And if I've totally missed something,
please let me know :) !

Regards,
Thijs

PS My apologies for the vague language, I've been on holiday for a while :).