[OpenLayers-Dev] Using Google's roads and annotation on top of WMS/Aerials

John J Reiser jreiser at newrisedesigns.com
Thu Jun 26 23:02:55 EDT 2008

Hello OpenLayers!

I was wondering if it was possible to overlay the roads/labels layer from
Google Maps on top of a WMS layer. Right now, using the roads/labels from
the G_HYBRID_MAP type either creates a layer with a solid gray background
or appears under the WMS layer.

What I'd like is to sandwich my WMS layers between the Google Roads/Labels
and the aerial photography. I have examples of the desired behavior in
Google Maps (http://njstateatlas.com/luc/) and the not quite right
behavior in OpenLayers (http://njstateatlas.com/luc/openlayers.html). When
I change the OpenLayers example's "Google Roads Overlay" to pull just the
roads and not the hybrid aerials, the layer has a solid gray background
(http://njstateatlas.com/luc/openlayers_gray.html), preventing everything
else from appearing. I'd like to migrate the map applications on my site
over to OpenLayers, but I'd prefer to keep using Google for the roads and
annotation.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. I would like to get involved with
extending OpenLayers. I have used the framework in the past to great
effect and I appreciate all the work everyone has contributed to the
project.

Thank you again for all your help.
John Reiser