[OpenLayers-Dev] [vector-behavior] comments on recent commit

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Fri Jun 27 12:34:00 EDT 2008

Hey-

Eric Lemoine wrote:
> Tim,
>
> Some comments on your recent commit to vector-behavior (r7386). You
> trigger "featuresdestroyed" while this event isn't in the EVENT_TYPES
> array. Did you really want to trigger that event?

This was probably the result of a sloppy merge on my part.

I'll take a closer look as time permits.

>  In any way, I'm wondering if the vector layer should be responsible
> for triggering "feature(s) destroyed" type events. One can do
> feature.destroy() and in that case the layer doesn't even know the
> feature is being destroyed. For that reason, I think it's the
> feature's responsibility to trigger "featureremoved". Going further, I
> think features should not be linked to a layer (currently features
> have a "layer" property), vector layers should listen to
> "featuredestroyed" events triggered by the features themselves and do
> the job of removing the feature when such an event occurs.

You mean give each feature an events instance?

I don't think it's a bad idea to make more stuff observable - but I
think we might want to look at any performance implications of this
first (and perhaps consider how this could be done differently in 3.0).

Tim