[OpenLayers-Dev] Random Colors on Vector Features?

Tim Schaub tschaub at openplans.org
Mon Mar 3 01:03:03 EST 2008

Hey-

Roald de Wit wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 22:44 -0700, Tim Schaub wrote:
>> I'm curious about your use case.  I don't have a good idea how common it
>> is to want to style a feature in a way that has nothing to do with its
>> attributes.
>
> One use case that comes to my mind is implementing random coloring in
> KML: <colorMode>, see [1].

Yeah, I'd say that's a perfect candidate for FeatureId rules.  If you're
writing a parser, it's not too much trouble to create rules (assuming
the parser will return a StyleMap).

I was more curious about cases where people are creating features "by
hand" and wanting to apply styling that has nothing to do with the
attributes.

Tim