[OpenLayers-Dev] bad misaligning of KML point layers?

Roald de Wit rdewit at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 11 02:14:12 EDT 2008

Hi Lance,

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 00:43 -0500, Lance Dyas wrote:
> Thank you for looking in to the problem I have enough irons in enough
> fires this wasnt really high on the list... but I definitely appreciate it.
> How can one cope with miscellaneous kml in the wild that dont follow
> these kind of guidelines... ??

Your question is a valid one. However, OpenLayers is a relatively 'thin'
client for KML and can't have all the magic that Google Earth (and
maps.google.com) have. Finding out what the size of an icon is, is not
in OpenLayer's skill sets.

I created another patch that assumes that all Icon urls starting with
http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml have 64x64 icons.
Can anybody confirm/deny the validity of this assumption btw?

Please try your old KML (with the units in pixels) with the new patch
and all should work fine. Not sure if this 'google magic' stuff will
make it into the new release.

I hope other people can test if all works as expected now.

Regards,

Roald
--
Roald de Wit
Software Engineer
roald.dewit at lisasoft.com

Commercial Support for Open Source GIS Software
http://lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts/