[OpenLayers-Dev] Summer of Code: Why two 'web-based configuration' ideas?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Mar 15 09:31:35 EDT 2008

Cameron, Steven, Roald,

Before the MapBuilder meeting a couple weeks ago, there was an
OpenLayers Summer of Code idea titled "Web-based Configuration". I just
looked at the SoC page [1], and realized there are now *two * web-based
configuration ideas on the page, without a significant explanation as to
why there are two seperate ideas.

It seems to me like some portion of the "web-based configuration" code
that would be created by such a project should not be specific to
MapBuilder. Additionally, I think that currently, there are two ideas
that are not sufficiently different in their goals for a student to
understand why they would choose one over the other.

I'm happy if you want to make the primary frontend for such an
application be MapBuilder, but if that's the case, then it should be an
extension of the code that would be written on the backend.

Help me understand what's going on here? Why are the first two tasks on
the list not integrated into one idea?

[1] http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/SummerOfCode

Thanks in advance,