[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers Summer of Code

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Mar 26 00:55:17 EDT 2008

(CC to users; please follow up to dev)

This is just a reminder: Any student interested in Summer of Code should
be working on their applications.

Information on how to apply is available at:

http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-announce/web/guide-to-the-gsoc-web-app-for-student-applicants

The Google Summer of Code program allows for any student to create their
own summer-long open source project. OpenLayers is participating this
year under the umbrella of OSGeo. This is a great way for students who
are interested in working on Open Source Software to get involved in a
project in a big way.

If you're interested, but don't know what to do, take a look at
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/SummerOfCode for ideas on what you might
want to do, and drop an email to the mailing list to talk about it.

Also, something to be aware of, from Google's FAQ...

"Students can submit their applications via the GSoC web app between
March 24-31, 2008. We hear almost universally from our mentoring
organizations that the best applications they receive are from students
who took the time to interact and discuss their ideas before submitting
an application, so make sure to check out each organization's "Ideas"
list to see where you can go to get to know a particular open source
organization better."

If you have any questions, let us know!