[OpenLayers-Dev] 2.7 ticket list

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu May 1 11:42:16 EDT 2008

Pedro Simonetti Garcia wrote:
> Christopher,
>
>     This is not a reason to fork a project!
>

> Okay, you've convinced myself :)
>
> Since OL is a front-end application, isn't appropriate to
> maintaing server code in it.
>
> I'll create an account in OL's track to get involved with the
> KaMapCache layer.
>
> Meanwhile, I'll communicate with the ka-Map list, and start
> writing a basic how-to ka-Map+OL. If there's anyone else
> interested in help, it will me much appreciated.

Pedro,

If you would like me to review stuff that would be fine. It has been a
few years since I have worked on a ka-map project and some of the more
active devs would probably be a better resource, but I'm happy to help
if I can.

Chris,

You are right about forking projects and I wasn't advocating it as the
standard. Because of the reasons you stated about ka-map, I have
maintained my own fork of precache.php and tile.php for some time. In
part because it took a long while for the patch to add a directly level
into the cache structure to deal with too many files in a directory,
that I submitted. By the time that got added I had also added various
convenience features for my automation tool that are probably not
generally useful.

Regardless, in my mind ka-map as a project has been largely deprecated
by OpenLayers functionality on the client side. I think it would be a
shame to loose the server side components precache.php and tile.php as
these are good solutions for the PHP side of the house. Hopefully this
will not happen, but the only other consumer of ka-map tiles is
OpenLayers, hence my suggestion that it might be a logical place for
these components to also live.

-Steve