[OpenLayers-Dev] thoughts on examples

Tim Schaub tschaub at openplans.org
Fri May 9 13:26:30 EDT 2008

Hey-

So, I've got examples on the brain.  A few thoughts:

I'd like it if we could keep more acceptance testy style examples out of
the examples dir.  We've got http://openlayers.org/dev/tests/manual/ for
just this purpose.  I know we're not religious about checking those
pages, but given the large number of examples in the examples dir, I
like the idea of separating out tests.  Not sure what others think, but
examples like these are a bit confusing to me - and I'm guessing they
are supposed to be more like tests:

http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/popups.html
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/popupMatrix.html
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/browser-name.html
(maybe more, apologies for picking on popups)

Also, very minor, but Chris razzed me long ago about "you and all your
dashes" so I thought I would justify.  Google has long treated hyphens
as word separators.  So, I've always used hyphens in page names that
have a chance of getting indexed.  I know they are smarter with word
splitting now, but I still think it is a good idea in terms of SEO:

http://www.google.com/search?q=openlayers+navigation+history+example

Anyway, don't want to come across as the example cop, but I have been
impressed with well organized and very useful examples in other
libraries, and I think we have some room for improvement.

Tim