[OpenLayers-Dev] tilecache for vector data

mpriour mpriour at kestrelcomputer.com
Tue May 20 10:48:12 EDT 2008

This IS definately an idea that has merit. A number of other people have
discussed this issue. Tiled vector datasets work well for points, pretty
good for lines, but run into some serious issues with polygons.
There is already a python based tool developed by Microsoft Research Labs
that breaks up point & line datasets into small javascript files containing
object literals (I don't know if GeoJSON is used or some other format). You
can find this at:
http://research.microsoft.com/MapCruncher/TiledVectors/TiledVectorsDemo-1.1/description.html
http://research.microsoft.com/MapCruncher/TiledVectors/TiledVectorsDemo-1.1/description.html

You can also read some ideas on this on the MapWrecker blog (the most
interesting part is in the comments section):
http://mapwrecker.wordpress.com/2007/07/17/well-know-vs-rational-vector-delivery/
post 1 ,
http://mapwrecker.wordpress.com/2007/08/24/rational-vector-delivery-pre-game/
post 2
 hope that helps validate your idea and give you some perspective on what
other's have thought about this problem.
Matt Priour
Kestrel Computer Consulting