[OpenLayers-Dev] New Kid on This Block

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 17:33:40 EDT 2008

I can suggest several bits of client side rendering for OSM.
Pyrender is an on demand renderer written in python, serves tiles over
http (usually from localhost), aready has an OpenLayers config for it,
you'd probably just need to download the data beforehand -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Pyrender
Another alternative would be pre-rendering all the tiles beforehand,
storing them on the disk, then just pointing OpenLayers towards the
directory.
Both are fairly simple configs given an existing rendering setup.

2008/11/1 Arnie Shore <3ashore at comcast.net>:
> To help clarify my so-called thinking here, I'm looking at OpenLayers
> for the JavaScript library to enable access to map images/tiles/files
> based on using  OpenStreetMap.  The latter wd be accessible at
> user-owned servers, without Internet access for this function.  Free and
> open source.
>
> Any insights or suggestions will be much appreciated.
>
> AS
>
> Arnie Shore wrote:
>> Hello all.  Let me tell you a bit re what I'm doing (he sez, as though
>> he really knows!) and invite suggestions.
>>
>> I've written a free open source computer-aided dispatch application,
>> targeted to teams/agencies with zero budgets for software of this
>> nature.  (It's Tickets by name, and with a demonstration/download site
>> at http://www.saefern.org/tickets/  - in addition to SourceForge.)  It's
>> built using the usual open source suspects, PHP and MySql.   Of special
>> relevance here is that I've included Google Maps as the geo-spatial
>> component.  Justification for the latter is, not surprisingly, its zero
>> cost, ubiquity, and convenience - as well as its capabilities.  By
>> design for its expected installation by first-timers, it avoids use of
>> any other than the most basic components.
>>
>> Now I want to port Tickets to a mapping base that wd allow its use in
>> situation where - at least temporarily - there's no Internet access;
>> the maps/tiles/images wd need storage and accessibility at the web
>> server.  (Client browser and server are readily configured onto a single
>> box, of course.)  Certainly, OpenLayer's open Source aspect is
>> especially attractive, given all of the above.
>>
>> Tickets can/is deployed where there's limited mapping available, but I
>> expect that users - many of them ham radio enthusiasts - might be
>> willing to spend some effort in developing the kinds of map information
>> appropriate to their particular situations. From what I see on this
>> list, there's no shortage of tools and advice to help them do so.  This
>> might be a particularly positive aspect in such an  implementation,
>> although possiblY more than countered by the possible lack of immediate
>> availability.
>>
>> Th - th - th - that's it folks.  Comments and suggestions invited, and
>> certainly from anyone who's undertaken a similar task.
>>
>> Arnie Shore
>> Annapolis, MD

Thomas Wood
(Edgemaster)