[OpenLayers-Dev] IOL.js: OpenLayers on an iphone (in a library)

Joseph Gentle josephg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 04:00:53 EST 2008

Nice stuff.

I did some work on this stuff a few months back - but I found that
something about mobile safari's renderer is really slow. Its not
hardware accelerating tile resizes or something.

I ended up doing a from-scratch rewrite of openlayers in objective-c:
http://code.google.com/p/route-me/

There may well be a way to get native performance out of a javascript
library - I'm not sure. The bottleneck is just the renderer as far as
I can tell.

-J