[OpenLayers-Dev] Bounds, extent and maxExtent

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Nov 11 10:29:58 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 07:43:58PM +0530, Abhi wrote:
> In Open Layers code there are three properties used to represent boundaries
> - extent, maxExtent and bounds. I tried to figure out the difference between
> these and was not very successful :(. They are assigned to each other and
> stuff like that thorough out the code and I got lost trying to follow the
> flow.

"Bounds" and "Extent" used in totally different ways in different parts
of the code. Trying to explain what they mean is not something that
generally applies throughout the code.

"maxExtent" is the "edge of the world" as far as a layer/map is
concerned: tiles are based on the maxExtent as an origin, and that's the
extent to which you can change the center of the map, etc.