[OpenLayers-Dev] examples: WMS Server configuration

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Nov 13 06:54:07 EST 2008

One thing I've noticed when "on the road" is that it can be handy to
have the examples pinting to a WMS server that is local rather than
remote when giving presentations and the like. (I think we've all been
up on stage during a presentation and found uot at the last minute that
there was no internet.)

Currently, our example WMS server is hardcoded into each example. I was
thinking that for at least the basic example server, we could have a
seperate file -- config.js -- which is loaded into the page, which
defines the default WMS server and layer informatino.

Upside: Easier to change one file, and be able to demo any example with
the new server.

Downside: Makes copy-paste of code slightly more difficult, since you
have to configure the WMS server (or copy the 'config.js' as well).
However, since this type of change is already neccesary -- pointing
"../lib/OpenLayers.js" to the copy hosted on OpenLayers.org, for
example -- I think this is a relatively minor downside.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I was basically just thinking that we
could make two entries in a config.js --

config = { 'baseWMS': {'href','layer'},
           'overlayWMS': {'href', 'layer'}  }

And then use where appropriate.