[OpenLayers-Dev] Additional Documentation

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Thu Nov 13 13:19:34 EST 2008

Hey-

Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> Does anyone have any objections to creating trunk/doc/, putting some
> useful build utils in it, as well as creating subdirectories for
> individual prose documentation efforts, starting with the
> spherical_mercator.rst describe above?

No objections.  +1 for sure.

My only suggestion would be to consider Sphinx (and this can be
implemented later).  It adds a bit more structure to the HTML output -
and works well for (ordered) prose docs.

My biggest wiki-peeve (don't think this was on your list) is that a wiki
is completely unstructured.  Obviously there are conventions to impose
structure - but I think they tend toward chaos.  Sphinx works best with
a hierarchy and uses tables of contents in docs to determine
relationships between docs - and ultimately the order in which they
would be read were they part of a book.

Plus, the ".. code-block:: javascript" highlighting is nice (with
pygments).  And the PDF output (via LaTeX) is actually pretty.

Anyway, maybe the build stuff you have in mind is similar (or same).

Tim

--
Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org